It's been over a year since I last wrote. I actually intended to write more and made to do so about six months ago, but unfortunately I found out that my storage limit had been reached. I found out tonight (via my sister) that Google Drive upgraded to 15GB of free storage within the last few months. I apologize for not having my hand on the pulse of this development. I figure I can upload slightly less quality photos and conserve the space enough to last for a while. Maybe the space will upgrade again...
So it's been a great year. We've become more settled here in Oregon than I originally thought we might. We've made some good friends, have recruited several family members to move here, and enjoy the life we have.
It might be easier to understand the rest of this post if you read what I wrote the last time I almost posted.
Here's my entry from about six (more like seven) months ago... (Approximately December 2012)
I'm registered for classes starting in January. I just have one class, because the film production major doesn't start until Spring term. There were a couple of things that got ousted from my schedule. It was costing us the same to hire a babysitter for me to work so we opted for me to watch the kids again. We felt it better that we raise them. It's not that we didn't appreciate our babysitter, but when the kids started to call her Sister Mom... well you can imagine how that went over. In addition, because of our old van's poor transmission and subsequent inactivity and Julie's getting a new job, I am taking a break from The Portland Ensign Choir. I was able to participate in the Forgotten Carols with Michael McLean, just after Thanksgiving. It was awesome to see the show onstage as a choir member. It's a great story.
After two months or so, we finally sold the van to a neighbor and bought a green Ford Ranger from some friends in the Ward (so as to maintain our hauling power.) Julie started working for a local company of allied mental health professionals in October after passing her licensing test. That's not their name, but anyway, instead of doing her own practice like we thought she might, it seemed that this new position would be a better springboard for an eventual breakout into a private practice. We had already signed a contract for an office space near the Temple, so we're sub-leasing in the interim. Anyway, Julie's work is keeping her busier in addition to other family and church duties.
Lulu is full steam ahead in her 1st grade year. Over the summer, Lili played soccer again and lost some teeth, though those two events were unrelated. We also started to read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (out loud before bed). We weren't sure if she'd be interested, but we finished the series and have started over again. We're almost through The Chamber of Secrets again. And since the summer, Lulu's reading skills have gotten a lot better. Her teachers put her into the Spanish only track so she spends more time learning her second language. At first it was pretty hard for her, but as with everything she's blossoming.
Pip's doing awesome. His speech and conversation skills are improving. We started a preschool (glorified playdate) to help with school readiness and social skills. We have the school for two hours on Mondays and several kids from the ward come and participate. Julie's the teacher and I assist. Just celebrated his fourth bday.
Nanners is super cute and smart, and taking advantage of the measures we're taking to enrich the older ones. She says funny things all day long and loves to read books, pretend, and play with Peter. We also celebrated her 2nd Birthday.
We've been taking full advantage of our local library. We are there every week checking out movies, books, and video games.
That's it and here's the update.
Julie's still working at the company I mentioned. We tried to make the move to a private practice more than a few times, but every so often the CEO seems to sense that Julie's on her way out and promotes her. As I said before, I had planned to start classes in the Winter Term at Portland State University, but after deliberating fairly regularly, I had decided to forego that plan and assist Julie in building up her business, so as to maximize our bottom line. But, the CEO kind of ruined that plan since we haven't been able to get the business off the ground with him throwing money at us. Anyway, Julie's also in the current leadership of a local chapter of associated therapists who are Mormon, is in our Ward's Young Women's presidency, and is the better half of the Co-coordinators for our Stake Youth Dance Festival. So she's not too busy. She could still handle a few more things....
So instead of starting in January, I began classes in July. Unfortunately, when I didn't take that class in January it postponed my eligibility for the upper division standing of the Film Major. So, I'll be able to take regular classes and have a full schedule starting in September. It also means that I still can't participate in the Portland Ensign Choir, since some of my classes will be during their rehearsal time. The biggest accomplishment I've enjoyed this year was finishing the documentary I was producing about our stake's Pioneer Trek. I finished it in May and cleared the music copyrights starting in July. I've been having my hand at distribution and exhibition, with is much more complex than I thought. Anyway, I can't tell you how awesome it was to finally see it finished. I wouldn't have been able to do it without Julie's motivation. (I guess it also helped that the Stake President put a firm deadline in place too.)
Lulu finished her first grade year doing really well in both Spanish and English literacy. She has a hunger for learning and reading. Thank goodness for wholesome books. In addition to her own reading, we're almost through with the Harry Potter series for the third time. Grandma Keanaaina is trying to get Lulu into Anne of Green Gables. We'll see if it sticks. Lulu and Pip are both taking piano lessons. Lulu can't get enough of the piano. I'm really happy for that.
The preschool I mentioned became unsustainable as Julie's schedule changed with the promotions. But one of the other parents was motivated to continue it. Pip has started making friends which has greatly improved his communication level. He's such a loving kid and enjoys life. I'm hoping he'll pickup more of the reading bug, which is my focus for the rest of the summer.
Nanners is potty training, though we've been at it for months now because activities and visits and business. Since my class is over, we're training her harder, so I expect it'll only be a few more days or weeks before I'm done with diapers, at least for now. Nanners is such a funny and cute little thing. She's moved from mimicking to making up her own combinations which are almost always hilarious.
I'm still sorting pictures but I'll post them soon.
Wow! I can hardly believe your kids are getting so big! We still miss you over here and love you all!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the update. I didn't catch it in July because of health issues, but am pretty functional now (including checking my family's blogs) Thanks for the update. December can't come fast enough!
ReplyDeleteThat is awesome! I miss them!!! :( Come visit me!!! :)
ReplyDelete