Sunday, May 6, 2012

Good, Better, Best


It's weird how quickly life fills with things. Betwixt the things I create for myself, the choices I've already made that continue to influence my schedule, and the opportunities that seek me out, I find that often having a few seconds to rub together is a luxury. And I take it for granted... a lot...

I understand that some things are good, some better, and others are still better or best. Yet, I still choose to do less effective things with my time. I get motivation in spurts and I go strong at doing the most effective things for a few weeks or months at a time and then fall back into my escapism from mental work. As you might guess, when I find it increasingly hard to find the motivation to blog about stuff, I have reached a slump. It's not like things aren't happening that are heading me in a forward motion, but I oddly find myself comfortable in the stagnation. It's probably either the fact that I've spent a lot of my life since graduating college waiting and being patient for things to happen, or it's my fear of actually moving forward that is hindering my most perpetual drives to success. Even as convoluted as that may sound, I have an inkling that I'm not alone in that experience.

I had an interview with a media production company recently. Unfortunately, they really only wanted me to work a part-time schedule for free without the slightest prospect of a job offer. (In fact they confirmed that it was not in the cards at all.) My productivity took a pretty swift kick in the pants. I'm not sure if it's even possible to do this without proper training and certificates. I've been studying for certification tests. But, for now going back to grad school is off the table for the usual reasons (Debt and timing.). But I'm hopeful and am getting better feedback from my job hunting. Still sometimes it feels like I'm watching the grass grow.

Recently, I've been looking into a transfer to a Portland-based program in Multimedia Journalism via the University of Oregon. Since the program at University of Oregon (or U of O) will be significantly less per credit than at my current-on-line-private-for-profit-graduate school, I'm dropping that wonderfully expensive opportunity for a cheaper option. As far as I'm aware U of O is geared towards legitimate research and is a more intellectual focus vs. the artistic. U of O is a bit higher rated by former students, but that could be because it doesn't require exorbitant amounts of cash. I'll keep you updated on that.

I recently painted our deck and since it's spring I included a picture of the cherry blossoms on our trees. Also, Since I forgot... I'll include Easter egg pictures we took when we went to our friends house.



















So anyway, we've been prepping our backyard recently for the construction of a play structure that Julie bought in the wintertime. If you want to know more about the structures origins, you can read my blog post about it.

To prepare, we paid professionals to cut down a pine in our back yard that was leaning into our neighbors yards. It was pretty old and strong but all it ever did was be in the way. So it had to go. After the tree went down we decided we will need to take out most of the gravel that had been installed several years ago and relocate it for future use, flatten out the mound, grind the stump and install a retainer wall and a synthetic ground cover followed by the play structure and bark chips. So, if it ain't a rainin', I'll be out there taking care of it. Julie and the kids are excited to help, but I'm expecting that I will be stuck with bulk of the task. In addition, I'm in charge of the garden and its maintenance this year again. I'm in charge of the landscaping and watering. Adding to my regular chores and studies, care for the kids, part-time Job, three church callings and an extra curricular activity (meaning the Portland Ensign Choir)-  I guess I shouldn't feel bad about how quickly I'm headed forward. It's a good thing I don't have any needy friends or a strong hankering for a social life! I wouldn't be able to fit it in.








Julie has this annoying knack of insisting on her birthday, our anniversary, and Mother's day within days of each other:). Actually, it's really cool to devote every beginning of May to my awesome, supportive, and beautiful wife. What's coolest about this event is every other year she gets to choose what she wants to do to celebrate. And this year was her turn again. She booked us on a romantic getaway in Tillamook. We stayed at the Ashley Inn. That hotel is awesome. We also went to see the Cape Meares Lighthouse and ate dinner overlooking the bay there from Pirate's Cove. We also got a nice massage, which was my first one. It was really fun to have so much time to be together. Happy 7th, honey!!!














As for Julie, she is less than a stone's throw from taking her exams and becoming a Licensed Clinical Social Worker. I'm really proud of her for working so hard at it. For anyone who knows her, it's just who she is, but I still think she's a wonderful catch.

Finally, I'm mentioning the Pioneer Trek that Julie and I are going on this summer. For those who are unfamiliar with a Pioneer Trek, it is a planned experience that helps youth and adults who participate to understand a fraction of what Pioneers had to go through while the made their way across the U.S. to settle in the West. While the Trek is supposed to be physically difficult it is mostly a spiritual experience that makes Pioneer sacrifices tangible. The Pioneer heritage had a strong influence on members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (or the Mormons.) And we (Mormons) believe that understanding that heritage it best done by first-hand experience.

I am the Trek Historian. I am making a documentary about Preparing for the Trek and about the Trek itself. So, I've been involved on capturing footage and pictures of activities leading up to the main event in July. Next week we have a mini trek planned to give the youth and adults a taste of what they might expect on the trek. Julie and I will be there to document the most interesting parts of it. And Julie will be exercising her counseling skills in a volunteer fashion. I'm a bit worried it'll be tough to carry around all my gear. We'll see what happens.

Here's a couple of photos we took around the house.









3 comments:

  1. I'm SO happy you updated!!! :) Your photography keeps getting better and better. :) Keep plugging along. Your motivation will come back. The same thing happens to me. You just have to keep your nose to the grindstone and one day you'll be wither A. Done ro B. Motivated. Wither way it's a WIN! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update and the pics of you two and the three kid-lings. It is also cool to see what y'all are doing to the yard, etc. Thanks again!
    Happy Grandma and Grandpa

    ReplyDelete