OK.
So I don't really have an excuse for not updating, besides being busy. So I won't go into it.
Two weeks ago we went to the temple after what seems like a bit of a break. (Of course the last time we went was last month... but it seems longer for only the fact that we've got so much going on.) But I think it was first time I went to the temple searching for inspiration for my calling. (It might seem like the two aren't related, but this year the 12 & 13's are learning about the Plan of Salvation. Hence, I figured it was to my advantage to pay attention, just in case.) The previous week in the 12 & 13's we had reviewed the importance of agency. But instead of gaining teaching helps or insights, my thoughts turned to the many people who are helped by the work in the temple. I am more keenly aware that our ability to accept the gospel- because we want to -is truly at the heart of our service there. I think it was good to get into that mindset as Julie and I have been trying to become better parents. Allowing my kids to learn from experience is much more meaningful to me now than it ever has been. That protective instinct that we sometime force on our kids to protect them from something or another can be detrimental to their growth during childhood if left to overprotection. I hope that my kids can learn from there mistakes while the price tags are low.
Julie went to a training on drugs and alcohol that week as well. She was so excited to tell me about all the stuff she learned. It's kind of scary stuff, but helpful for her when she might help people who have addictions to those drugs. Julie really puts a lot into her work and that is just one example. She genuinely loves her clients and feels their pain and struggles. A cool thing happened this week... Julie had been having a rough few days after returning to work from the training. On Tuesday, I got a call from Uncle Sam. Not our Uncle Sam, my Uncle Sam. He is quite a busy dude and so getting a call from him is pretty rare. The last time we spoke must've been about a year ago. So it was kind of a miracle that he called. We talked story, (which being interpreted from pidgin is chatted about life.) Then he let me know that he had met someone at a Hospital that knew Julie and worked with her at the Organ Donor center. He told me the man had expressed sadness that Julie left the company, because the quality of work has not been the same since she left. He also said that they didn't realize how much she did until she left and requested my uncle relay that she is missed. (Funny thing is they hired three people to replace her.) Anyway, when Julie got home she was being weighed down by her concerns at work.. After I told her I kept thinking that Julie's heavenly father really wanted her to know that despite the frustations she feels that she really does make a difference by putting her awesome efforts towards helping people. I know she appreciated the encouragement.
Last Sunday, I switched choir practice to before church. I'm feeling better about being a choir director, but it is still hard to feel like anyone cares about my take on the music we sing. Maybe Sis Christensen was right when she said I shouldn't have told them this is my first time doing it. Anyway, Sundays are a little packed. That particular Sunday I was gone doing my callings from 10am to 10pm. I'm not a bishop, but there was a lot going on.
On Monday, I sang the Star Spangled Banner with the Portland Ensign Choir (minus the Orchestra or PECO) at the Rose Garden when the Trail Blazer played the Kings. If you want to check out a cell video of it, it's on YouTube. (PECO is also trying to get the ESPN feeds of the performance to post on our website.) But it was pretty cool to be a part of it. Another awesome thing is--it was so successful (and profitable) for the Blazers that they invited us to come back next year. The executives said that there was an abnormal reverence during the national anthem that they thought was cool. The highlight for me was that I got to help out some new members of our ward have a good FHE. My home teaching companion and his family are die hard Blazer fans. So I got them tickets to sit with the choir to watch the game. Since the Blazers won and scored over 100 points, we also got free food from IHOP and Taco Bell. And after the game we got to shoot a free throw on the court. The family was really excited the whole time. It was another good thing for them after a streak of bad luck. I had a blast.
So, the PECO is putting on a concert pretty soon. We're singing "The Redeemer" which is a collection of oratorios and choruses about Christ. It was written by Robert Cundick, who I was surprised to find out is alive and well and involved with the Church Music Department in some way or another. The reason it surprised me is because the music seems epic and is in an older style. I assumed it was written several hundred years ago. The PECO's PR guy invited him to come to our concerts at West Linn High School. So apparently the Author of our music is coming with some of his family. Which is cool. He's also bringing some peeps from the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. Apparently, he is also on good terms with President Oakes. Our PR guy said that Bro Cundick found out that we are doing a concert series in the summer with Jenny Oakes Baker (President Oakes daughter) and contacted President Oakes to find out more about us. It seems like the general consensus with the church leaders is "they've heard of us but haven't heard us." So we'll see where this thing goes.
Anyway, that's all I have. Sorry no pictures, but maybe we'll have some next week.
No comments:
Post a Comment